Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Things in the Cupboard

Holidays over, and I'm finally settled into my new place. There has been a lot going on and a lot getting made, but lack of time and adequate internet connection kept me away for too long. lets catch up.








This here lentil dish was somewhat of an improvisation, but it turned out well and I will probably try it again. At my Dad's house I found some green lentils and 1/2 a bag of dried porcini mushrooms. I don't have the exact quantities for this one, but the general idea went like this:

Hot Lentil Salad with Porcini Mushrooms
1 cup lentils, soaked overnight
1 medium red onion
1 tomato, cut into eighths
1 zucchinni, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
handfull dried porcini mushrooms
salt
pepper
chilli flakes
balsamic vinegar

Pour boiling water over mushrooms( till covered) and set aside to re-hydrate. Warm olive oil in skillet. Add onions, garlic, salt pepper and chilli. Sautee lightly, you want the onions to still be crisp and keep their color. Add zucchinni, sautee for about two more minutes, stirring occasionaly, till they start to show some browning but still retain their color and texture. add lentils, stir for about a minute more, then add mushrooms along with the water they were in, tomatoes and a splash of balsamic vinegar. simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Drizzle a litlle olive oil on top, a splash more of balsamic and a handfull of pine nuts.


lentils love balsamic vinegar, and red wine vinegar too, and I who am I to tear two lovers apart. They are served together alot around here. We had this as a side with dinner, at room temp, but I thought it was much better when still hot, before the veggies became soggie from sitting around. Since the lentils are pre-soaked, it takes very little time and liquid to cook them, and they retain a pretty firm-crisp texture. This was  made with green lentils because that's what I found, but black lentils are superb, and beautiful... and I usually prefer them. So you could go with either.












2 comments:

  1. I love these photos and your ruminations, keep them coming please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely lovely! Want to see new place. Pics please.

    ReplyDelete