Monday, December 3, 2012

Make It: my worm bin!!!

I am extremely happy to introduce my new pets: red wrigglers. Yep. Some girls get excited about frilly dresses, some girls like to dig up worms. I like both! lucky me.
For a very very very long time I have been dreaming of starting a worm compost bin- we all have our peculiarities. These little fellows gobble up organic matter and transform it into a nutrient rich substance which plants thrive on. Less garbage, free fertilizer for my house plants and a "do it yourself" sustainable appeal? you've got me. 

Temporary worm bin, with a warning for un-expecting flatmates ,or guests.


That said, this dream was one I kept at the back of the drawer for a particularly long time. Fear of failure was daunting. I had to do it "right": the perfect bin, the perfect location, the perfect worms, perfectly decomposed compost as a final goal- all the right kind of expectations to keep oneself from trying something new. But as luck had it, a week and a half ago I saw a notice for a short Vermicomposting ( that's worm composting in fancy-tongue, mind you) workshop to be held 5 minutes from my home. Before I had a chance to persuade myself to wait any longer, I was signed up. Before I could decide to "wait" till I have a bin set up for my new buddies and then buy the worms, I went out to the market and found a lovely plastic box with a lid which had been used for cheese- free, and plenty more where it came from. And so, a week ago, song in heart and clumsily large container in hand, I made my way jubilantly to the garden of the Vegetarian Society near my home. I listened and learned, and found that I had all that I need to give it a shot. The worms came home with me the very same evening, and were placed in their temporary home to wait for some final adjustments to be made to their permanent abode.

The new worm bin, empty, by the bin that housed the worms over the past weeks. Worms don't like light, or dry hands, so I wet my hands to handle this one and get a quick shot of it. Sorry, wormie. 


Since the the bins I found are a little on the small side, the instructor suggested I try a vertical method of composting. To start, you need two bins. The bottom one has a few large holes in its bottom to drain of liquid- a nutritious fertilizer that can be diluted and fed to potted plants. I have been buying this stuff to feed my house plants, who thrive on it. I look forward with much hope to producing my own! into this box is fitted a second box, into the bottom of which plenty of holes have been drilled, to make for good drainage. The lid should also have plenty of holes to allow circulation of air in the bin. The bin is situated on two bricks, with a slight slant towards the side of the bin where the drainage holes for collecting the liquid are- under which you should place a small container. 

Left to right: The green bin is the inner one, in which worms, bedding and food scraps are placed. The green bin sits in the white one, which has three holes for drainage and collecting liquid fertilizer. lid and bottom of green box have plenty of holes for drainage and aeration. A layer of leaves, above a layer of shredded newspaper, under which worms hide in their bedding with food scraps. It is important to maintain humidity in the bin. The bin on two bricks under the table, slanting slightly forwards towards drainage holes of white box. There is a small container underneath these holes to catch liquid.  I hope to eventually move the bin underneath the sink, for now it will stay here, so I can keep track and see if things are working.

And then the wormies moved in! first I put down a layer of shredded newspaper. The worms I got came with some soil and quite a bit of yet to be fully eaten kitchen waste, so for now I only added a few cabbage leaves- I don't want to over feed them, which could kill them, so I'm waiting for them to get settled in and finish their last meal before giving them more food.
I have a few goals with this experiment. Obviously, I would like to make compost, and reduce the waste I toss into the trash bin, and feed my plants, and keep the worms happy and alive. But since I also want to keep the bin indoors, and stay on good terms with my flat mate, I hope to manage to set up a bin that will run smoothly and not put off any bad odours. I added a layer of shredded newspaper on top of the worms and food scraps so hopefully things will stay moist but not stinky, and dry leaves too. I also have limited space, so that's another challenge. We will just have to learn as we go along- I will keep you posted!
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I kept my 2 worm bins in my bedroom all last winter, they do not have any malodorus smell at all! Is all I did was place a very heavy piece of plastic under the raised bins to protect the floor. I feed my worms at least once a week in the winter, all the vegie scraps, they do great. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete